New Site... Again!
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
Zauber ParacelsusUpdate Dec 16 2012: I've made some further updates to the website code, increasing the amount of caching it uses in order to improve performance. As well, I've begin internally using WikiCreole➚ markup for the author comments and for blog entries (bbcode was used before). I've also implemented a custom wiki engine for the website to replace MediaWiki. So, barring connectivity problems or high ping times, the whole site should now be blazing fast. I've also done some experimentation to improve readability with the dark background, and I've slightly darkened the text and replaced the font with something more readable.
So, here we are again. WordPress proven to be a bit frustrating for me, due to the difficulty of getting it to work exactly the way I want to. So, I've spent the past few days writing a new backend for the comic, written in Python➚ and using the Flask➚ microframework. Aside from replicating the overall design from the old site that was hosted on comicfury, the new code is also substantially faster than the WordPress system.
The new code has been running live on the site since early this morning, though I had to head off to bed before writing this blog post because I had been up until 5:00am working on getting the code deployed. While writing this post, I've also made some additional work, including optimizing the layout so that the comic will be fully viewable on older 1024x768 monitors.
So, to recap on the future plans for the site, I am going to be performing a new art upgrade (yeah, the current one only lasted through three episodes). It'll be based on toon-shaded 3D models created in blender, which will allow for much more dynamic character poses, perspectives, and scenes.
If all goes according to plan, I'll have the new art style ready to go when the the comic resumes updates this January.
Until then, you can watch for updates and previews I post on DeviantArt➚, Twitter➚, or on Lord of Maelstrom's Google+➚ page.