Furries Ruin Everything
Thursday, November 27, 2014
Zauber ParacelsusThere's been more changes behind the scenes! Things may appear a bit brighter and different than in the last comic. That was because I changed my rendering setup for this comic. Instead of using Cycles in GPU mode, I used it in CPU mode. Not only that, but I used a patched copy of blender, built with the Adaptive Sampling patch. It allows the renderer to stop processing subsections of the image when they've been sufficiently resolved.
Thanks to Adaptive Sampling, I can make higher quality renders for the comic and abandon the older method, which depended on highly-selective blurring on several different image passes, and one of the flaws with the process was that it artificially darkened the image. It also resulted in some of the details from bump mapping being lost, such as the cracks in the plaster wall.
The other thing I've started doing is I've begun using volume render, which simulates how light is transmitted through the air and other non-opaque mediums. In this case, I used it with a high anisotropy setting in order to produce a more realistic glare around the lights.